Since its inception in 1999, the Entrepreneurship Initiative (EI) has helped launch a large wide array of businesses and nonprofits and helped students improve their career opportunities upon graduation. Below are links to just a few of the companies and organizations created by our alumni. If you've launched a business and it isn't here, please firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dream Project - Founded by Josh Golder in 2007 - Working with people through film, book, and community to develop individual's dreams and help them find the path to make those dreams a reality.
- WJ Southard - Founded by former EI president Neal Van Patten in 2007 - Manufacturer and retailer of premium, green, organic bedding.
- 4TWK - Founded by Caleb Oakland, Stephen Kelley Jr., and Cory O’Brien in 2007 - An online music and culture magazine.
- Angel Catalyst - Founded by EI co-founder Paul G. Silva in 2007 - Provides management services to angel investor groups.
- Rentabilities - Founded by Alexander & Andrew Cook in 2006 - Integrated online store, inventory, and point of sale solution for the rental industry.
- Condition Engineering - Founded by Alaina Hanlon and Richard Bradshaw in 2006 - [Winner of the 2007 $50k Technology Innovation Challenge] Condition monitoring and early failure warning systems for earthen structures
- Waterstone Retail - Co-founded by former EI president Josh Golder in 2006 - Commercial retail developer.
- Pharma Solutus - Co-founded by Sarvesh Agrawal, Bing Mei, Lindsay Devin in 2006 [Winner of the 2006 $50k Technology Innovation Challenge] Established to improve chemotherapy and ultimately the quality of life for cancer patients through novel drug delivery nanotechnology.
- Dexrex - Founded by Derek Lyman and Richard Tortora in 2005 - Universal archiving service for instant messaging.
- Canopy Development - Founded by EI co-founder Joseph Steig in 2005 - Developer of green, sustainable resorts. Secured several million in funding from AOL founder Steve Case.
- Zygote Games - Founded by EI co-founder Joseph Steig in 2005 - Science & nature-based card and board game developer.
- True Guts - Founded by former EI president Josh Golder in 2004 - "For the first time ever, Crohn's Disease and colitis are being thrust into public awareness through a nationwide inspirational movie."
- Edical May - Co-founded Humera Fasihuddin in 2004 - Enables entrepreneurs, surgeons, engineers and other innovators to successfully commercialize new medical devices.
- Blue Moon Grocery - Founded by former EI president Deb Robinson in 2004 - A natural foods cafe and deli located at the Eastworks in Easthampton.
- River Valley Investors - Founded by EI co-founder Joseph Steig in 2003 - River Valley Investors is a Western Massachusetts-based group of individual investors seeking investment opportunities in both early stage companies with significant growth potential as well as later stage companies.
- Cutting Edge Fitness - Founded by former EI president Josh Golder in 2002 - Innovative, high-end personal fitness training facilities in the Greater Boston area.
- The Regional Technology Corporation - Co-founded by Humera Fasihuddin and Joseph Steig in 2002 - The mission of the Regional Technology Corporation ("RTC") is to be the market driven catalyst for growth and development of technology-based industries in Western Massachusetts and the Knowledge Corridor.
- Greasecar - Founded by Justin Carven in 2001 - Greasecar provides equipment that allows diesel cars and trucks to use used vegetable oil as fuel.
- Ian's Pizza - Founded by Ian Gurfield in 2000 - Ian's Pizza is taking the Gourmet Pizza by the Slice model, as pioneered by Amherst's own Antonio's, around the country (link is to their first store).
- All inPlay - Founded by EI co-founders Jeremie Spitzer and Paul G. Silva in 2000 - All inPlay creates innovative software that allows the blind and visually impaired to increase their computer literacy skills as well as socialize and play with their fully sighted friends and family.